Saturday, August 20, 2011

Traveling with Kids: One parent, 2 kids.

This past weekend I did something many people told me was brave. By the end of my experience I realized I wasn't brave, I was padded room crazy.

I took my two children, aged 2 and 11 weeks, through a total of 4 airports and on 4 airplanes.

Alone.

Completely.

Crazy.

Picture it. Me. Pulling a red rolling suitcase to which is strapped my daughters car seat. My daughter is in the car seat with her little backpack, blanket, stuffed dog, dino, and sippy cup. On top of my little red suitcase is the diaper bag, boppy pillow, and lunch bag with sippy refills. I am wearing the baby in an infantino front carrier. It was effective and back breaking. It was more effective on the trip home that the trip out but some bugs with the straps got worked out.

Here's some advice I will be taking for the next trip:

1. Triple check the time of your flights before you click the BUY button. This will prevent arriving at the destination at 1 am and having to be to the airport at 430am on the return trip.

2. Book directly with the company your traveling with. Airlines let you change flight times, rental car companies would have your credit card on file for their security requirements. Prevents having to get a taxi at 1am. I got lucky and the taxi meter stopped at $56. I only had $60. Talk about a heart pounding taxi ride.

3. Get the CARES Harness. This is the only FAA approved child seat restraint that isn't a car seat. Most people don't realize that the FAA requires that all children under 40 lbs be in an approved child restraint system. Which normally means having to bring the car seat. My harness' have already arrived. It was the first thing I did upon arriving home. Next time the car seats will be checked baggage.

4. Book a hotel that offers breakfast. Any breakfast. Bagel and coffee, it doesn't matter. When you are alone with two kids, have no car, and are outside of the reasonable toddler walking distance from a restaurant, some kind of breakfast on site is a sanity savor. Even if it costs a bit more.

Some people have told me that I should have canceled our trip because of the difficulties we were experiencing. Some other people, and alot of the same people, told me that next time I shouldn't even think about it. To those people I say no. Just because I'm alone with two young kids doesn't mean we have to stay home. Lifes an adventure and we will share the adventure no matter the obstacles.

:)


No comments:

Post a Comment