Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Bug Patrol - Meet the Flock

As of last Sunday I had a flock of 4 chickens. As of yesterday I have a flock of 2 chickens. My two mix breed pullets (to big to be a chick to small to be a chicken. It's the actual term.) Tom and Dick, have disappeared. I am unclear as to whether they got taken by something as we have alot of hawks, or if they found a hole they could get through and ran away to be eaten by something. Either way until the third Sunday of September, the date of the next Swap Meet and my next opportunity to get more chickens, I have just two.

Without further ado meet Henrietta and her boyfriend Steve.
Henrietta ^
Steve ^

Henrietta and Steve are Ameraucana chickens. When Henrietta settles in and begins laying her eggs should be a blue/green color.

The Ameraucana was developed in the 70's by a few people who were trying to standardize the Araucana breed. The Ameraucana is easier to breed as there are no complications due to lethal genes. *Quoted from backyardchickens.com

This is my little chicken coop. Big enough for 4 chickens and I painted it green.

Busy hunting bugs. I'm not sure if it's normal for chickens to go to bed at 630 pm and wake at 0430 but that seems to be their pattern. Steve is very prompt about waking the entire state up at 0430. But he doesn't stop there. He pays tribute to the sun for as long as the sun is in the sky.


4 comments:

  1. Sorry you lost two pullets...that is sad. But I am enjoying your blog. I hope I get a trip out your way someday so I can visit your home on the range.
    I have a blog too if you want to check it out:
    www.theflyinggardener.wordpress.com

    See ya!,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Were you planning to have 3 roos and 1 hen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not originally. But after talking to the farmers I bought the chickens from they suggested roos instead of hens since I wanted meat chickens, chickens to butcher at the end of the season. I really just wanted chickens to eat the bugs in the garden and then butcher so I don't have to do any winter care but I want eggs too. Their supposed to be eating the hornworms, which are all now on top of my 5 foot tomato plant, and the squash bugs which are all gone cause they killed all the squash. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was worried for your one hen. Her being alone with 3 roos would be a nightmare for her.....
    I would recommend more hens to get the eggs then harvest the girls when you're ready. Best of both worlds :)
    I've recently found hornworms too. They do some massive damage for such little things!

    ReplyDelete