Thursday, July 28, 2011

Weapons of Mass Distruction

There is an unpleasant aspect to gardening. And I admit, I didn't pay it much attention when the signs first started showing.

The holes in the leaves; the slightly yellowed leaves;
The completely eaten leaves;
All the signs that my garden had dinner guests. It couldn't get that bad, right? I wanted and still strive for an organic garden. But what other choice was I facing? My beloved plants were dying.

I tried an organic insecticidal soap: reduced the bugs a bit. I tried Dawn dish soap: made soap bubbles on the ground, very effective (sarcasm). I tried spraying water at a high rate of speed: broken leaves and stems. I was starting to pull my hair out.

Until I decided on two things. Chickens and a more personal approach; woman to bug. Face to buggy little face.

I have chosen two weapons, so far, in my war against the bugs. The Bucket of Death and The Stick of Fire.

The Bucket of Death is the only method of ridding myself of Tomato Hornworms. I'll get into those later.

The Stick of Fire is my newest revelation and I am excited about it's effectiveness. It works best on the smaller bugs. The young Squash Beetles are my current target. I'm genuinely surprised at the effectiveness of this weapon. Beyond the antennae burning like eyebrows in an experiment gone wrong, the little buggers sizzle. There is something disturbingly pleasing in that sound. Maybe it's the sound of hope. Hope that by frying these beasts I just might save my squash.

We will see...

No comments:

Post a Comment