Saturday, July 30, 2011

Saving Space - Growing Watermelon Vertically

I'm not really sure where this idea came from. Perhaps it's the size of my garden. Or perhaps it's my refusal to give up precious space in my garden for a plant to sprawl at it's leisure. Either way when my watermelon (and cucumber) plants got to the stage of sending out runner vines I stuck a tomato cage around it and wound the runners through the bars. Seemed simple and perfect at the time.

The vines just keep climbing up the cages. When the fruit gets large enough I pull it to the outside of the cage for easy picking later.


But I didn't anticipate one thing; the vines can't support the hanging weight of the fruit. See? I didn't want to break more vines and let the fruit sit on the ground though. So I came upon another idea: Stockings. My Grandmother told me once to always have a clean pair of stockings in your drawer.

I don't think this was her intended purpose but hey, I don't wear them so I might as well use them.
Hopefully these will continue to support the watermelon while allowing the fruit to continue to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment