Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Gone to the Birds

I remember the day we moved into the house here in Kansas. Besides all the running around, shuffling of boxes and the endless "hey where did you put _____". I got buzzed by a hummingbird! Oh sure there are hummingbirds in Vegas. They just didn't like my house.

Not so in Kansas! I hung two feeders off the front deck in front of the windows. A hummingbird feeder which attracted the first bird in under an hour and has attracted 4 separate birds so far. 2 hens and 2 males. They are so fun to watch. Each gender chases each other. Hens on hens, males on males. If I sit still outside long enough they cease being as frightened of me and I can hear the buzzing of their wings and their angry chirping at each other as they chase around the house. It's a nice way to spend a quiet naptime. The other feeder is filled with regular bird food. Seeds and nuts. It took almost 2 weeks for the yellow finches to find this feeder which was really a surprise. I can hear all the birds in the trees out here all the time but they were really slow finding this feeder.

Now I just keep the feeders full and listen to my cat Amelia chatter at them in frustrated fascination.

No comments:

Post a Comment